James Patterson and Alex Cross - Facts and figures
Compiled by Jack Foley
JAMES Patterson is the creator of the top selling detective series Alex Cross. This crime thriller favourite’s investigations include smash hits Along Came a Spider, Kiss the Girls and Alex Cross – all of which have been adapted for the big screen – with the latest one in cinemas now.
Alex Cross also returned this November in a new book, Merry Christmas Alex Cross. This action packed and gripping story, from the world’s best-selling thriller writer James Patterson, is available now and to celebrate we have compiled some interesting facts on James Patterson and the Alex Cross…
About James Patterson
• Patterson was a former chairman of J.W. Thompson. In fact, Patterson is attributed with coming up with the slogan “Toys R Us Kids”.
• James Patterson has sold more than 260 million books worldwide.
• Patterson topped the 2012 Forbes ‘Richest author’s list’ with estimated earnings of $94 million last year.
• He holds the world record for the most No. 1 best sellers of any author.
• He has authored the books behind six films including Along Came a Spider, Kiss the Girls, Alex Cross and the upcoming Maximum Ride from Avi Arad, the producer of X-Men and Spider-Man.
• He is the first author to have No.1 new titles simultaneously in The New York Times adult and children’s bestseller list.
• James Patterson’s mission is to make all children life-long readers. This mission is based on his passion for reading and belief in its power. It was this that lead him to starting writing for children. It has also seen him start or be involved in a number of literacy initiatives such as his PageTurner Awards and his website ReadKiddoRead.com.
• Patterson has won the Edgar Award, the BCA Mystery Guild’s Thriller of the Year, the International Thriller of the Year award, and the Children’s Choice Book
Award for Author of the Year.
About Alex Cross
• Alex Cross is six foot three, weighs 200 pounds, and is athletic.
• He lives on Fifth Street in D.C., with wife, Brianna (Bree) Stone, Nana Mama, Ali and Jannie, and Rosie the cat. Damon is away at prep school in Massachusetts. He drives a Mercedes Benz R 350.
• His first wife, Maria, a social worker, was killed in a drive-by shooting that was never solved. He was left with their two children; Damon and Janelle.
• Alex Cross is an African American detective and psychologist. He worked in Homicide and Major Crimes as a profiler before joining VICAP (Violent Criminal Apprehension Program) as a liaison between the FBI and D.C. police. After his stint as an FBI Senior Agent, Alex returned to private psychology practice and continued to consult for the MPD and the FBI as needed. He rejoined the MPD
as a special consultant to the Major Case Squad.
• He has a P.H.D in Psychology from Johns Hopkins University, and he can profile the criminal mind very well.
• His best friend is John Sampson. They have been friends since Cross went to live with his Grandmother.
• Alex Cross as a number of nemeses including: The Wolf; The Weasel – a.k.a. Geoffrey Shafer; The Mastermind – also known as Kyle Craig; Gary Soneji; The Audience Killer; The Butcher; Zeus.
Alex Cross Movie Trivia
• Matthew Fox – who played Picasso in Alex Cross – went through a strict diet and workout regime in order to lose 35 pounds for his role.
• Idris Elba had originally been considered to take over as Alex Cross from Morgan Freeman.
• Kiss The Girls director Gary Fleder turned down the chance to direct Along Came a Spider, opting to make Impostor instead.
• At one point, Denzel Washington was to star in Kiss The Girls, but he had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.
• Morgan Freeman as Cross is seen training boxers at the start of Kiss The Girls. He is seen training boxers again years later in Million Dollar Baby, the role that he received an Oscar for.
About The Alex Cross Franchise
• Alex Cross has been the number one crime detective for the last 19 years.
• There are 18 books in the Alex Cross franchise.
• The part of Alex Cross has been played by Morgan Freeman (Along Came a Spider and Kiss The Girls) and Tyler Perry (Alex Cross).
• The three Alex Cross films have seen box office takings of over $177,487,564 or £110,229,570.
• A fourth film based on the book Double Cross in currently in pre-production.
Buy books direct from our online store