24 grants Stephen Merchant a cameo appearance
Story by Jack Foley
EXTRAS star Stephen Merchant has been given a cameo role in real-time drama 24.
The writer and comedian will be seen handing a piece of paper to a member of staff at the Counter-Terrorism Unit.
Ricky Gervais will also feature in the new season of 24 – but only as part of a DVD extra as he was deemed to be “too recognisable” by producers of the popular show.
Instead, Gervais has recorded a spoof scene for the DVD which, according to his spokeswoman, finds him appearing as an official who gets upset when someone steals an idea of his.
He is subsequently seen whispering under his breath that a mission should be given to Special Agent Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland.
He then reportedly looks incredulous when someone else makes a similar suggestion and takes the credit for the idea.
Jon Cassar, executive producer of 24, told the New York Post that he hoped Gervais would agree to let the scene appear on the DVD release of the sixth season.
The first episode of season six is due to be aired in the US by Fox on January 14, 2007, before debuting on Sky One soon after.
- Order 24 Season 5 DVD box set
- 24 - Season 6: Was Morris torture necessary?
- 24 - Season 6: America angered by torture scenes
- 24 - Season 6: Did Jack have a choice?
- 24 - Season 6: First 2 hours reviewed
- 24: Season 5 reviewed (with spoilers)
- Sutherland signs on for another three seasons of 24
- Read our review of the explosive Season 4
- Buy 24: Seasons 1-5 on DVD