24: Sutherland signs on for three more seasons
Story by Jack Foley
FANS of real-time TV series 24 rejoice – Kiefer Sutherland has signed on for a further three season as CTU agent, Jack Bauer.
According to a report in trade magazine Variety, Sutherland is committed to 24 until May 2009. The eight-figure pay deal also includes the opportunity for the actor to set up his own production company on the Twentieth Century Fox lot, with a remit to produce drama.
In the same Variety report, Sutherland also revealed a little more about the reasons why plans for a 24 movie were shelved – while hinting that such a move was still possible.
“It was really the executive producers realising that if we were going to squeeze it in during the break, we would have been rushing it,” he explained.
“If we were going to do it, we would do it next summer. It’s still a big ‘if.’ We would not go forward unless we thought we could do it right.”
That said, Sutherland is still determined to pursue a movie if at all possible and is said to be leaving his summer break free to devote time to the project.
Sutherland fans can currently see Jack Bauer in season 5 of the acclaimed series on Sky One on Sunday nights. While he will also be back on the big screen later this year in political thriller, The Sentinel
- Pre-order 24 Season 5 DVD box set
- 24: Season 5 reviewed (with spoilers)
- Sutherland signs on for another three seasons of 24
- Read our review of the first two hours of Season 5
- 24: The Game - Be Jack Bauer for one day
- Season 5 preview
- Read our review of the explosive Season 4
- Catch up with Season 4 on DVD
- Catch up with all four seasons on DVD