Ray Liotta: 11 Facts You Might Not Know
Preview by Jack Foley
TO celebrate the release of his new thriller Breakout, here are some key facts about the talented enigma that is Ray Liotta.
“It would be nice to do a movie where I didn’t have to choke the girl to get her.” – Ray Liotta
1) Ray Liotta is best known for his on-the-edge, tough-guy characterizations in films like Martin Scorsese’s classic Goodfellas (1992) and recent hit The Iceman (2013).
2) He was adopted at the age of six months old. He has never sought out his birth parents.
3) His zodiac sign is Sagittarius and he is a Roman-Catholic.
4) He is a strong supporter of Tottenham Hotspur and goes out of his way to show his support. He attends matches as much as he can.
5) Driving to the set of Goodfellas each day, Liotta listened to tapes of FBI wiretaps of the real Henry Hill to help him get into character for the day’s filming.
6) During recording of the Goodfellas’ narration, Liotta made the sound man sit directly in front of him in the studio so that he could tell the story to someone.
7) In 1994 he won an Emmy in the category of Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for playing Charlie Metcalf in hospital drama ER.
8) He claims that he only did the Disney kids movie Operation Dumbo Drop (1995) for the paycheck. He also said: “Everyone thinks I’m like my character in Goodfellas, but in real life, I’m more like my character in Operation Dumbo Drop.”
9) British rock band Linoleum recorded a song called Ray Liotta (on their 1997 album Dissent).
10) Liotta married actress Michelle Grace (Narc) in 1997. Grace also co-produced his dance drama Take The Lead (2006) with him but the couple divorced in 2004. They have a daughter called Karsen Liotta.
11) Since 2010 he has been a celebrity ambassador for Stand Up To Cancer (as of 2010).
Lionsgate releases Breakout on DVD and download to own and rent on September 9, 2013.