Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix - Preview
Preview by Jack Foley
IN A summer packed with really, really big movies (Spider-Man 3, Pirates 3, Shrek 3, etc) audiences are positively spoilt for choice in 2007.
One of the biggest will undoubtedly be Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix, the fifth film in the lucrative series and a surefire moneyspinner no matter how bad the reviews.
The film is due to land in cinemas world-wide just days before the seventh and final book lands in shops – so interest is sure to be sky high.
In Order of the Phoenix, Harry (once again played by Daniel Radcliffe) is now in his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and approaching full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion.
But while he’s just returned from another frustrating summer with the Dursleys, Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, especially in light of the recent revival of the evil Lord Voldemort.
As Harry struggles to contain these problems, and a hateful new teacher, Dolores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton), he tries to learn more about the mysterious Order of the Phoenix and their role in the fight against the Dark Lord.
The film is directed by David Yates (who won acclaim for the political-thriller mini-series State of Play and for the two-part Sex Traffic) and boasts all the usual cast members from previous films (those that have survived anyway).
There are, of course, notable returns from Ralph Fiennes (as Voldemort) and Gary Oldman (as Sirius Black).
Fans of the novels will remember The Order of the Phoenix for featuring a tragedy involving another key character and a first kiss/snog for Harry. So it’ll be interesting to see how Yates handles both landmark events in the series given that the film marks his debut feature film.
That said, word is he’ll be directing the next film in the series – so he must have delivered something pretty special with this given the footsteps he’s followed.
Harry Potter Order Of Phoenix opens in UK cinemas on July 13. Watch the trailer
- Read our review of The Order Of The Phoenix
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Daniel Radcliffe interview
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Emma Watson interview
- David Yates and David Heyman interview
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Katie Leung interview
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Evanna Lynch interview
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Bonnie Wright interview
- Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix - Matthew Lewis interview
- Harry Potter to get IMAX release
- Read our Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix preview
- Watch the trailer
- Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire coverage
- Order Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix (novel)
- Order Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince (novel)
- Order Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (novel)