Iron Man 3 tops 2013 global box office
Story by Jack Foley
IRON Man 3 was officially the highest earning film of 2013 around the world.
The superhero blockbuster starring Robert Downey Jr made $1.2bn (£734m), according to online movie tracker Box Office Mojo, ahead of animated comedy sequel Despicable Me 2 which came second with global takings of $918m (£555m).
Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug made a late entry into the top 10 at No.9 despite only being released in mid-December. The film has topped the US box office since the film was released.
The complete top 10 is as follows…
1) Iron Man 3 – $1,215m (£734m)
2) Despicable Me 2 – $918m (£555m)
3) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $795m (£480m)
4) Fast & Furious 6 – $788m (£476m)
5) Monsters University – $743m (£449m)
6) Man of Steel – $662m (£400m)
7) Gravity – $653m (£395m)
8) Thor: The Dark World – $629m (£380m)
9) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $614m (£371m)
10) – The Croods – $587m (£355m)