Follow Us on Twitter

Philip Seymour Hoffman: Hollywood reacts to his death

The Master

Story by Jack Foley

HOLLYWOOD is paying its respects to late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, who was found dead in the bathroom of his Manhattan apartment on Sunday, February 2, 2014, at the age of 46.

Responding with a mixture of shock and sadness, fellow actors have taken to Twitter to express both their remorse and appreciation for a remarkable career.

His family said in a statement: “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”

Tom Hanks, who worked with Hoffman in Charlie Wilson’s War, said in a statement “This is a horrible day for those who worked ‎with Philip. He was a giant talent. Our hearts are open for his family. “

While Jeff Bridges shared his thoughts in a Facebook post, saying: “I’m so shocked, and so sad hearing of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death. I enjoyed playing with him on The Big Lebowski. He was such a wonderful guy, and so damn talented, a real treasure. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

George Clooney, who worked with Hoffman on The Ides of March, said in a statement “There are no words. It’s just terrible.”

While screenwriter Aaron Sorkin said “He was a wonderful man and my generation’s greatest actor, but three young kids lost their father and that’s all that matters.”

Anton Corbijn, who directed Hoffman in the upcoming thriller A Most Wanted Man – which only recevied its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival last month, said he was shocked by the news: “We spent some time together only 2 weeks ago and he seemed in a good place despite some issues he had to deal with. He was not only the most gifted actor i ever worked with (and judging by the legacy he leaves behind i am certain i share this with most if not all directors who were fortunate enough to work with him), he had also become an incredibly inspiring and supportive friend.”

Earlier, Mia Farrow was among the first of his celebrity colleagues to react, Tweeting that Hoffman was a “truly kind, wonderful man and one of our greatest actors”.

While British actor John Hurt, who starred alongside Hoffman in the 2003 drama Owning Mahowny, told the BBC that the news had hit him “very hard”.

He described Hoffman as “a great actor” and “a great member of the film and theatre community”, adding: “An extraordinary talent, directorially as well as an actor. He’ll be greatly missed.”

Jim Carrey Tweeted: “Dear Philip, a beautiful beautiful soul. For the most sensitive among us the noise can be too much. Bless your heart.”

And former Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul Tweeted: “We lost one of the greats today. Philip Seymour Hoffman RIP my friend. You will be missed always and forever.”

Director and actor Jon Favreau commented: “RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. So sad. Such a great talent.”

While Steve Martin wrote: “Shocked to hear of Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s death. If you missed him as Willy Loman, you missed a Willy Loman for all time.”

Tom Hiddleston Tweeted: “Philip Seymour Hoffman. This is so unbearably sad.”

And Entourage creator Doug Ellin wrote: “Literally devastated about Philip Seymour Hoffman. True genius RIP!”

Russell Brand Tweeted: “Love and prayers for Philip Seymour Hoffman’s family. Addiction kills, I hope all who need it have access to abstinence based recovery.”

Read our obituary