Follow Us on Twitter

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sequel remains on track

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Story by Jack Foley

A SEQUEL to the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is still very much on track, according to distributor Sony.

US publication Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Sony still intends to make The Girl Who Played With Fire despite perceptions that David Fincher’s film, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, has under-performed.

They base their article on a quote from ‘a Sony rep’ who says: “The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo continues to do strong business and nothing has changed with respect to development of the next book.”

This would appear to reiterate what Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal said in November last year that the sequel was going ahead with a view to having it completed in time for a late 2013 release.

As of January 2, 2012, Fincher’s film has grossed $60 million in the US and is doing well overseas. But in spite of this, some pundits have labelled its performance ‘disappointing’ – although this may fail to take into account the film’s adult nature. It was arguably never intended to pull in the type of figures enjoyed by box office rivals such as Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.

Sony maintains that Steven Zaillian is still working on his adapatation of The Girl Who Played With Fire, while stars Craig and Mara are already signed up for two more films.

It is not yet known whether Fincher will remain as director, or whether Sony will seek a new man behind the camera. The original Swedish sequels were directed by Daniel Alfredson as opposed to Niels Arden Oplev.

Next story: Paranormal Activity 4 in development for 2012 release