Twilight director Hardwicke won't return for sequel
Story by Jack Foley
CATHERINE Hardwicke, director of hit vampire movie Twilight, will not return for the sequel, according to reports from America.
The filmmaker, who set a new record for the biggest opening weekend for a movie directed by a woman when the vampire romance opened in America in November, felt she needed more time to work on the sequel, entitled New Moon, and could not commit to a late 2009, early 2010 release date.
In a statement, she said: “I am sorry that due to timing I will not have the opportunity to direct New Moon.”
However, she added that New Moon had “a great story” and wished distributor Summit her best wishes.
In responding to the statement, Erik Feig, of Summit, said that the company had “a mandate” to release the sequel in “a timely fashion”, adding: “We are able to pursue an aggressive time frame as we have the luxury of only adapting the novels into screenplays, as opposed to having to create a storyline from scratch.”
As yet, no replacement for Harwicke has been named and it has yet to be announced when shooting will commence – although speaking at a London press conference following the film’s UK premiere last week, co-star Kirsten Stewart said that she anticipated starting filming in early 2009.
Twilight, based on the popular novel by Stephenie Meyer, opens in UK cinemas on December 19. View photos from the UK premiere
- Read our review
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart interview
- Catherine Hardwicke interview
- View photos from Twilight
- Twilight's Hardwicke won't return for sequel
- Twilight: UK premiere photos
- Twilight: Opening weekend hits $70m-plus
- Twilight: US box office strong, reviews mixed
- Twilight soundtrack reviewed
- Buy the soundtrack (Amazon)
- Read our preview of the film