Wolverine star Jackman heartbroken over leak
Story by Jack Foley
Hugh Jackman has spoken of his heartbreak over the leak of an almost complete version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, labelling it “a serious crime”.
An unfinished version of the film was uploaded to several file sharing and streaming video websites on Tuesday last week (March 31, 2009), where it was downloaded an estimated 100,000 times before Twentieth Century Fox intervened.
The distributor vowed to prosecute those responsible for the leak “to the fullest extent of the law” and has called in the FBI to further the investigation.
But Jackman, who reprises his role as the central character, said that the verion amounted to a “Ferrari without a paint job”.
Speaking while promoting the film at Cockatoo Island, in Sydney Harbour, the actor told the BBC: “There’s no doubt it’s very disappointing. Obviously people are seeing an unfinished film.”
He then proceeded to unveiled 20 minutes of official finished footage to around 600 fans at the location where much of the film was shot.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is due to open in the UK on April 29 – two days before its US debut on May 1.
- Wolverine image gallery
- Wolverine - Australia publicity stunt gallery
- Wolverine leak will be punished, Fox warns
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Preview and Game
- Watch the trailer