Follow Us on Twitter

Glastonbury cancelled due to coronavirus

Story by Jack Foley

GLASTONBURY 2020 has been cancelled due to coronavirus.

Taylor Swift, Sir Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar were due to headline this year’s event, alongside Diana Ross and Dua Lipa. But despite hoping to be able to go ahead as planned, a statement released by the Eavis family earlier today said: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice.”

The decision reflects government advice for people to avoid mass gatherings.

Organisers subsequently took the decision before April 1, when festival-goers were expected to pay the remaining balance of their £270 tickets.

Fans who had already paid the £50 deposit will be allowed to roll over that sum to next year, guaranteeing them ‘the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021’, organisers said. But refunds will also be available for those who want them.

More than 200,000 people, including 135,000 ticket-holders, would have descended on Worthy Farm in Somerset if the festival had gone ahead from June 24 to 28.

Other acts on the line-up included Noel Gallagher, Lana Del Rey, Herbie Hancock, the Pet Shop Boys, AJ Tracey and Haim.

The statement by Michael and Emily Eaves continued: “We very much hope that the situation in the UK will have improved enormously by the end of June. But even if it has, we are no longer able to spend the next three months with thousands of crew here on the farm, helping us with the enormous job of building the infrastructure and attractions.

“We were so looking forward to welcoming you all for our 50th anniversary with a line-up full of fantastic artists and performers that we were incredibly proud to have booked.”

They added: “We look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”