Yoko Ono to curate Meltdown 2013
Story by Jack Foley
YOKO Ono is to curate next year’s Meltdown festival (2013) in June.
The 80-year-old artist, and widow of John Lennon, said she was “deeply honoured” to be directing the festival on its 20th anniversary, which takes place at London’s Southbank Centre from June 14 to 23.
The 10-day event will include concerts, DJ sets, talks, films and the visual arts and, given Ono’s well-known peace activism, is expected to focus on issues such as environmentalism and feminism.
As yet, no line-up has been announced.
But Ono said: “I am now starting to approach names from all over the world, some of whom you will know and some who might be new to your world. Let the fun begin!”
She also praised Meltdown’s “great tradition of experimentalism mixed with classicism that has made the festival such an enduring part of the British arts landscape”.
Ono’s curatorship follows a major exhibition of her work at London’s Serpentine gallery earlier this year.
It will follow in the footsteps of stars such as David Bowie, Ray Davies and Jarvis Cocker, who have curated previous Meltdowns. The 2012 event was curated by Antony Hegarty, from Antony and the Johnsons.