Glee star Cory Monteith died from alcohol and heroin
Story by Jack Foley
GLEE star Cory Monteith died from a heroin and alcohol overdose, a coroner in British Columbia has announced.
The 31-year-old Canadian actor, best known for playing Finn Hudson in the hit TV series, was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room on Saturday (July 13, 2013).
A statement released by the coroner’s office said: “There is no evidence to suggest Mr Monteith’s death was anything other than a most tragic accident.”
It said a post mortem examination had determined “a mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol” was the cause of death.
However, the investigation into his death by the British Columbia Coroners Service is ongoing and no additional details were immediately available.
Once that investigation is completed, a Coroners Report will be issued.
Monteith had a history of drug problems. In March this year, he voluntarily checked himself into rehab for substance abuse – the actor’s second visit to rehab following a similar stint when he was 19.
Production on Glee was not impacted but Monteith was written out of the final two episodes of season four. He was expected to return for season five.
It remains unclear how Monteith’s death will impact the forthcoming series, from creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.
Fox TV officials have described Monteith as “an exceptional talent”.