Review: Jack Foley
IT'S being billed as the dance collection to end all dance collections,
so we thought we'd better check out Dance Decades to see if it's
worth the hype.
The triple album features three CDs devoted to all aspects of
the dance genre, from the days of early 90’s House music,
the Hacienda and illegal raves (CD1), to the Ibiza and super-club
era (CD2), right through to the new kids on the block (CD3).
Yet, while it makes for a fairly eclectic listen, and certainly
brings back some nostalgia-filled fun, you can't help but feel
the producers have gone for the easiest options.
From the Baggy and Early House era, for instance, there’s
Happy Monday’s seminal Step On, Primal Scream's
timeless Loaded, and the Stone Roses' classic, Fool's
Gold - all of which have appeared on countless other compilation
albums in their time.
As good as they are, however, the chances are very high that
you already own them in several formats - whether on the original
albums they were taken from, or on the other records they have
cropped up on ever since.
Surely there could have been better, more surprising, tracks
to be lifted from all three artists' back catalogues.
Rant aside, hearing them together on one CD is rather enticing,
making it a perfect box set to have around come party time (and
especially with Christmas just around the corner).
And you can't go wrong with classics such as The Orb's Little
Fluffy Clouds, DNA and Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner,
and The Soup Dragons' funky extravaganza, I'm Free.
Needless to say, for a site dedicated to alternative music, CD1
represents the best option, although there are moments on the
Ibiza-obsessed second album that are worth mentioning.
Most notably, Wildchild's Renegade Master, Crystal Waters'
Gypsy Woman, Underworld's anthemic Born Slippy,
Wink's Higher State of Consciousness, Robert Miles' Children
and Sneaker Pimps' Spin Spin Sugar.
Other tracks, such as Ce Ce Peniston's Finally do tend to sum
up the repetitive and bland direction dance music has since taken,
particularly when attempting to cater for the super-club scene.
Rounding it all off, however, is the hit-and-miss CD3, which
brings you up-to-date and features the best and the worst of modern
The worst is served up by the hopelessly generic likes of Roger
Sanchez and Stonebridge, et all, while the best is provided by
Fatboy Slim (Right Here, Right Now), XPress 2 (Lazy),
The Cardigans (Lovefool) and Junior Senior (Move
It's an eclectic mix, for sure, and one that's certain to divide
the listeners, but it's certainly worth having as a party album,
and does provide an effective summary of how dance music has progressed
since the early Nineties.
A mixed bag, but one worth owning.
1. U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
2. Happy Mondays - Step On
3. The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
4. Primal Scream - Loaded
5. The Soup Dragons - I'm Free
6. The Prodigy - Out Of Space
7. SL2 - On A Ragga Tip
8. Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
9. Sub Sub feat Melanie Williams - Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use)
10. N-Joi - Anthem
11. Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game (KKlassik Radio Mix)
12. Xpansions - Move Your Body
13. Chubby Chunks - Testament 1
14. Gat Decor - Passion (Do You Want It Right Now)
15. Nush - U Girls (Look So Sexy)
16. Atalantic Ocean - Waterfall
17. Degrees Of Motion feat Biti - Shine On
18. Jam & Spoon - Stella
19. DNA ft Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner
20. The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds
1. Robert Miles - Children
2. Underworld - Born Slippy
3. Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar
4. Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar (Armand's Dark Garage Mix)
5. Jamiroquai - Space Cowboy (Classic Club Mix)
6. David Morales Pres. The Face - Needin' You
7. Ultra Nate - Free
8. Mousse T vs Hot 'n' Juicy - Horny
9. Livin' Joy - Don't Stop Movin'
10. The Tamperer feat Maya - Feel It
11. Pete Heller's Big Love - Big Love
12. Todd Terry feat Jocelyn Brown & Martha Wash - Keep On
Jumpin' (Rhythm Masters Thumpin Mix)
13. Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke (Hardfloor Mix)
14. Wink - Higher State Of Consciousness
15. Da Hool - Meet Her At The Love Parade
16. Stretch 'n' Vern - I'm Alive
17. Wildchild - Renegade Master
18. The Original - I Luv U Baby
19. Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman
20. Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
21. Young Disciples - Apparently Nothin'
1. Modjo - Lady
2. Sonique - It Feels So Good
3. Junior Senior - Move Your Feet
4. Moloko - Sing It Back
5. Stonebridge feat. Therese - Put 'Em High
6. Basement Jaxx - Rendez Vu
7. Wamdue Project - King Of My Castle
8. Bob Marley vs Funkstar Deluxe - Sun Is Shining
9. The Cardigans - Lovefool - Todd Terry Mix
10. XPress 2 - Lazy
11. Roger Sanchez - Another Chance
12. LMC vs U2 - Take Me To The Clouds Above
13. Kings Of Tomorrow - Finally
14. Yomanda - Synth & Strings
15. Azzido Da Bass - Dooms Night - Timo Maas Mix
16. DJ Jean - The Launch
17. York - On The Beach
18. Byron A. Stingily - Get Up - Everybody
19. Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now