Review: Dean Allen
ONCE again, Tarantino treats the soundtrack as an opportunity
to create the perfect mix tape.
For Reservoir Dogs it
was rockabilly pop songs. Pulp
Fiction was smooth surf guitars and Jackie Brown soul classics.
For his latest, Kill Bill
Vol. 1 he raids his soundtrack collection for an eclectic
bunch of songs there ever could be.
With only two dialogue excerpts and an emphasis on instrumentals
this is a different Tarantino soundtrack.
Kicking off on a sombre mood, with Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang
(My Baby Shot Me Down)', and then the rockabilly 'That
Certain Female', it appears to be the quintessential QT soundtrack.
With the obscure flamenco-style reworking of 'Don't Le Me
Be Misunderstood', the insanely infectious 'Woo Hoo'
from the Japanese Band, The 188.8.131.52's, and the rousing call to
arms of Tomayasu Hotei's 'Battle Without Honor or Humanity'
(the tune that plays all over the trailers), the emphasis is on
Japanese music but with a Western twist.
The most radical departure for QT soundtrack enthusiasts are
the score instrumentals that have been pulled from other movies
and the hip-hop contributions from The RZA.
As a huge a fan of the kung-fu films that Kill Bill references,
The RZA contributions add an authentic but modern edge. Taking
source music from previous films such as 'That Grand Duel',
by Luis Bacalov, from the film A Grande Duello (1972), 'Run
Fay Run', from the Isaac Hayes film Truck Turner (1974), the
Green Hornet and Ironside theme, and the whistling 'Twisted
Nerve', from Bernard Herrmann, simply prove QT's genius in
With some Kung Fu stings complete the track listing (although
they would have been better served arranged throughout the album),
this is another essential QT soundtrack that must be owned.
There may not be any standout songs that will capture the public's
consciousness, but if you loved the movie then you'll love the
soundtrack. I can't wait for Vol. 2.
1. "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" - Nancy Sinatra
2. "That Certain Female" - Charlie Feathers
3. "The Grand Duel - (Parte Prima)" - Luis Bacalov
4. "Twisted Nerve" - Bernard Herrmann
5. Queen Of the Crime Council - dialogue excerpt from film featuring
Lucy Lui & Julie Dreyfus
6. "Ode To Oren Ishii" - The RZA
7. "Run Fay Run" - Isaac Hayes
8. "Green Hornet" - Al Hirt
9. "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" - Tomoyasu Hotei
10. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" - Santa Esmeralda
11. "Woo Hoo" - The 184.108.40.206's
12. "Crane"/"White Lightning" - The RZA/Charles
13. "The Flower of Carnage" - Meiko Kaji
14. "The Lonely Shepherd" - Zamfir
15. You're My Wicked Life - dialogue excerpt w/ David Carradine,
Julie Dreyfus & Uma Thurman
16. "Ironside" excerpt - Quincy Jones
17. "Super 16" excerpt - Neu!
18. Uakuza Oren 1
19. Bannister Fight
20. Flip Sting
21. Sword Swings
22. Axe Throws